The Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care licensed afterschool program run by the YWCA Greater Newburyport gives parents the freedom to pursue their professional goals while their children participate in safe, affordable, quality programs. Children have the opportunity to explore, discover and expand their cognitive and social skills in a caring, supportive environment. Our curriculum is threaded with experiences that encourage children to develop an appreciation for diversity, a sense of their leadership potential and a value for community service.
The YWCA offers afterschool care at the Bresnahan School from dismissal until 6 pm Monday through Friday for the full curriculum days of the Newburyport Public Schools. School’s Out students in grades K-5 participate in activities in the cafeteria, gym and outdoor playground. The program includes time for planned curriculum, homework, physical activities and entertaining fun. Healthy snacks are provided. Two, three and five day options are available. Care is provided on early release days and vacations. Transportation is available from the Upper Elementary School to the Bresnahan School for 4th and 5th grade students. The YWCA has a summer camp for school age children based at the Bresnahan School.
We provide a warm, caring atmosphere where children are accepted unconditionally. All programs are inclusive, open to all children regardless of color, race, economic status, religious background, or family composition. Staff members strive to create an environment which is a careful balance between reliable security and stimulation that fosters exploration and growth.
our activities and curriculum
- promote a sense of self-worth: A positive self-concept is the bedrock of all learning and growth.
- foster independence and self-discipline: These two elements are necessary ingredients for problem solving and achievement.
- provide opportunities for success: This encourages risk taking and appropriate expansion of parameters.
- meet each child’s unique needs whenever possible: A concept which builds trust and a respect for others.
- create a caring, respectful community: This sense of community grows from the individual program to the school, family, and the community at large.