Group Leader – Afterschool Program
Job Class: part time; non-exempt
Work Week/Hours: Program in operation Monday through Friday after school; staff schedules vary
Description of the Position: To support the mission of the YWCA, school-age child care programs have been established. Our programs give parents the freedom to pursue their professional goals while their children participate in safe, affordable, quality programs. Children have the opportunity to explore, discover and expand their cognitive and social skills in a caring, supportive environment. Our curriculum is threaded with experiences that encourage children develop an appreciation for diversity, a sense of their leadership potential and a value for community service. The Site Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of the daily operation of assigned classrooms ensuring that each classroom functions at the highest quality standard. The Group Leader in the After School Program is responsible for the direct care and teaching of children enrolled in the after school program.
Duties: Responsibilities include but may not be limited to the following:
- Promote the values and mission of the YWCA in all interactions with children, parents, staff and school personnel.
- Recognize and protect children from any hazards that are a threat to their physical safety and their emotional well being;
- Directly nurture and encourage children by providing them with a variety of learning and social experiences appropriate to their age;
- Participate actively with other staff in the planning process, and the development and implementation of written lesson plans;
- Be aware of all state requirements and emergency procedures and notify the Site Coordinator if you notice a violation or have concerns;
- Be responsible for the overall condition of your classroom, eating areas, and other program space that you use on a regular basis (i.e. safe, clean, neat);
- Maintain accurate records and statistical information that may be required by your Supervisor and submit written reports as assigned;
- Attend scheduled staff meetings and increase your childcare skills and competence by taking advantage of ongoing training opportunities.
- Assist in Kids Clubhouse when requested.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and meet one of the following sets of requirements:
- Have a Bachelor's Degree or an Associate's Degree; and have three months of experience working with school age children; or
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent; and have six months experience working with school age children including three months supervised experience at a school age child care program; or
- Have nine months experience with school age children including three months supervised experience at a school age child care program
- A genuine love of children and a personal commitment to making a difference in their lives;
- Documented experience working with grade school children and the ability to plan and carry out age appropriate activities;
- Dependable and efficient with strong planning and organizational skills;
- The ability to adapt to change, perform multiple tasks, and work independently;
- An outgoing and enthusiastic personality who enjoys working with others;
- Current first Aid/CPR Certification (or within 3 months of employment)
It is expected that all program staff will function as self-directed members in a team effort. Your activities and performances should meet appropriate professional standards and adhere to the philosophy and purpose of the YWCA.
Return to top
If interested, here's how to apply:
Background Record Check Form required for all afterschool applicants: Download here.